Tuesday 13 January 2009

'Freeze Mobbing' & Just Freezing

Having boarded a plane in 30 degree heat in Johannesburg, it only dawned on me that I'd made a mistake when Kimbo and I landed in Amsterdam in -3 degrees. The mistake was to have had a fair few beers before boarding the plane in t-shirt, shorts and flips and packing everything else in the hold untill Heathrow. A serious oversight but it did prepare me a little bit for the next day's 'freeze mobbing' promotion around London.
Having not been able to get involved as much with Everest over the summer, I was really looking forward to finally meeting all the people that had been clogging up my inbox all year. I wasn't surprised to meet some brilliant people during what was a fantastic day confusing crowds of tourists and policemen in Parliament Square, Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square. Playing out a dummy dismissal, dressed up to the nines in cricket whites and polar gear then holding that pose for 3 minutes (not that easy - especially if you overcommit to an enthusiastic appeal!) I was seriously impressed by the level of dedication and enjoyment shown by all and the interest it stirred in the large crowds that treated us as some kind of artwork.
A trip across town found us at Lord's for a tour update where I was blown away by the scale of the expedition and by the amount of work everyone had done just to get this far. Kirt and Wes led the meeting excellently but what amazed me most were the looks on everyone's faces. Anticipation and genuine excitement were etched across all and its certainly something that hadn't quite been conveyed this much over tinterweb.
It was these looks that have really brought home what a special thing we are all a part of and has inspired me to double my involvement efforts and aim to be the highest individual fundraiser. There's a long way to go but considering everybody's contributions so far I've got to be ambitious to feel an equal part of the attempt. Can't wait!

1 Comments:

At 4 February 2009 at 13:15 , Blogger Emily said...

been hearing all about this on the news nd had no idea you were doing it til mum told me the other day. Good luck!!!
Emily
http://fromnobootstorunningshoes.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home